Newtonville is the most easterly community in Clarington (and in Durham Region) and was in the southeastern part of the old Clarke Township until 1973.
Post office history
Newtonville's first Post office opened in 1835 when the village was known as both "Clarke" (named after Clarke Township, which it was part of) and "Newton". It was located at the corner of Kingston Rd. (Highway 2) and the 8th Sideroad. The first Postmaster was Thomas Hymers, and the 1st mail carrier was John Carscadden, who carried mail from here to Kendal in 1857. The village had 8 Postmasters since the inception of the Post office. The last Postmistress was Joyce Carroll in 1991. At this time Canada Post's mandate was to close many of the smaller rural Post offices. Since then the village has been placed on a Rural Route delivery sorted in Port Hope. A retail postal outlet exists today at the store in the centre of Newtonville. The store was damaged by fire in 2008 and has since been rebuilt.
The present station has one active side platform next to the southern track (Turnpike side); The far track could theoretically be boarded by standing on the near track on a wooden crossing. A second platform, now abandoned, sits aside the northern track.
Found in an old church in Massachusetts, NewtonvilleBooks is run by Mary Cotton, a former employee of the store, and her husband, a former customer. Here Mary shares what they’d do with infinite space and why she loves their fiction section. Facebook. Twitter. Pinterest. What’s your favorite section in the store? ... But the real answer is Fiction. It’s always been Fiction ... Twitter ... Twitter ... What are Newtonville Books’ booksellers reading? ... ....